In reading back over the entreaty I suggested earlier this morning it occurs to me that the actual intent of what I’m trying to accomplish here may have been lost in all the excess verbiage about how frustrating the Deepwater Horizon was. I apologize, because what I want to do is so important that I want to be as clear as possible. So here’s a more concise bullet point version.
1) Congress returns for a lame-duck session to take place over the next couple weeks.
1a) If a bill responding to the Deepwater disaster is not passed, it means nothing will have been done to respond to the worst marine disastor in the nation’s history.
2) Nature bloggers care about this issue, and have the power to reach a lot of people in a short period of time.
2a) We in the NBN (and Scienceblogs and Discover and all pertinent blog groups) should coordinate a response to encourage our followers to contact their representatives and encourage them to pass a spill bill that holds BP accountable.
2b)We should write posts, get the word out, encourage action THIS WEEK, any time between today and Sunday, December 5.
2c) When doing so, we should use the badge to the left, created specifically for this event.
3) You should refer to the introductory post HERE, for information to use to inform your followers.
4) Send your post to us (me at naswick (at) gmail (dot) com. We will set up a page here at the NBN where all the posts can be collected, archived and accessed.
5) We should make this happen, because all the anger and frustration we felt can be applied towards something that can have a profound effect on the ecosystems of the Gulf, and the people that depend on them.
Help us accomplish this.